|Full Details For Chief Technology & Operations Officer, South & Southern Africa Jobs
Job : Operations
Primary Location : Africa & Middle East-South Africa-Johannesburg
Schedule : Full-time
Employee Status : Permanent
The Role Responsibilities
Own and drive the integrated “One Bank” Technology and Operations agenda in the Southern Africa cluster and South Africa and brings alignment across the business and functions, working closely with Country MT, Region/Group Technology and Operations MT and relevant stakeholders. Leadership and Accountable for all Technology and Operations for Country and Cluster. This includes all the Country & Cluster regulatory responsibilities and face-off to the regulators on behalf of Technology and Operations in the country.
- Partner with the Cluster/Country CEO in developing and fine-tuning the strategy for the country.
- Ensure alignment with Transformation, Technology and Operations (TTO) strategy (at a Group and Region level, including the Functions) within the country/cluster. This includes ensuring the local needs of country/cluster are factored in Group Transformation, Technology and Operations strategy.
- Oversees the implementation of TTO service delivery strategy, working with cluster/country CEO, country business heads, functions heads, etc.
- Drive and ensure Projects delivery and Governance for cluster/country in line strategic agenda.
- Manage critical in-country/cluster projects, including acquisitions, divestitures, regulatory projects, etc. This may include regulatory liaison depending on the nature of the project.
- Work with the country/cluster CEO in identifying and driving country/cluster initiatives designed to build the business franchise and increase business operating efficiency.
- Provide leadership in Technology innovation and deliver transformation agenda for the country/cluster with the aim of making the Bank a leading digital bank.
- Drive transformation of Technology and Operations teams in the country/cluster to adopt scaled, agile delivery to drive outcome based OKRs/KPIs and improve customer experience.
- Drive strategy to streamline processes, enhance productivity, reduce risk, improve controls, leveraging technologies.
- Drive strategic investment reviews owned by the Country Management Team. Have knowledge and experience with Basel reform and other South Africa key initiatives
- Work with the Country/Cluster Management Team and risk committees to ensure alignment with global process standards, improving efficiency and scalability.
- Work closely with business heads to understand their requirements and implement a change management program to deliver the strategy while ensuring strong controls, processes, governance, and risk management for the country.
- Work with the Management Team to maintain rigorous cost and investment discipline. Ensure appropriate prioritisation of issues around risk, control, investment, people, projects, and change management within the country.
- Work with Product COOs and CIOs, bilaterally and as part of the TTO Management Team, to align across projects and priorities and the prioritisation plan for country execution.
- Drive continuous improvements in Productivity and Cost Efficiencies at all level.
- Managing execution of performance objectives to ensure that technology and operations are stable, secure and delivered in line with service requirements
- Responsible for executing & integrating the overarching transformation approaches in the Country in an integrated roadmap that amplifies results and drives executional certainty.
- Continue to partner with CMT/ RMT to have them fully accountable and responsible for (their part of the) Transformation
- Act as the Sponsor for transformation initiatives in the Country/Cluster.
- Drive adoption of continuous improvement and agile practices, mindsets and capabilities
Risk, Control and Governance
- Effective execution of delegated responsibility for managing country governance, including governance of branches and legal entities, non-presence countries, in the cluster, ensuring the country demonstrably meets governance standards, country engagement rules, etc.
- Ensure there is a framework for effective management of operational risks across the country & cluster and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
- Ensure that exposure to each form of technology and Operations risk is understood and managed.
- Effective management of all Technology and Operations risks including reporting high or very high rated risks based on Group materiality thresholds to the relevant Risk Committees at the country or regional level
- Setting infrastructure and process frameworks to monitor, manage, and escalate risks affecting the business in its use of technology and escalating material risks for the region, in accordance with the Group’s risk management framework.
- Work with country support function heads to proactively address thematic issues and significant operational problems as they arise, i.e. ‘joining the dots’ between SIS, Audit, BMA, peer reviews, etc., findings.
- Establish strong two-way links between Group NFRCs, Regional & Country Risk Committee and business risk forums to ensure that relevant issues and priorities are channelled, discussed and addressed.
- Support the country roll-out and embedding of the Risk Management Framework.
- Chair any other relevant governance committees.
- Provide on ground support for subsidiaries where appropriate, including board appointments as applicable
- Work with the relevant NFRCs/PGCs to ensure processes for products and clients in the region/country are fit for purpose and meet regulatory requirements.
- Fully accountable and own regulatory audit / inspections in the country as well as offshore service centres.
- Lead in delivering ‘horizontal’ (i.e. across the client journeys) process excellence in the country/cluster to reduce handoffs, reduce risk and improve client service in collaboration with Journey COOs and GBS leads.
- Input to the design of global policies and procedures ensuring local requirements are considered. Monitor dashboards and provide general oversight in order to escalate issues promptly, e.g. AML and sanctions checks, protection of Bank, client information and assets.
- Implement digitisation projects and manage the change process to reduce manual hand-offs, reduce risk and improve client service collaborating with Journey COOs and GBS leads.
- Drive adoption of best practices, architecture, technology standards and methodologies.
People and Talent
- Champion and act as a role model of the Group’s values and culture in the cluster/country. Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Sets appropriate tone and expectations for their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Lead and support a change in mindset, building a culture of client centricity, agility, and accountability through standardised metrics and measurement, ensuring everyone in TTO are drivers and owners of client outcomes.
- Set effective metrics and standards, transparently communicating these to team members, providing feedback and rewarding employees accordingly. Set the appropriate tone and expectations for the wider team.
- Create a culture of operational and service excellence across the cluste/country
- Attract, employ and retain high quality people that is skilled and experienced to deliver superior experience for our clients, build a fully Agile organisation, and promote team diversity and inclusion across capabilities, background, gender and race.
- Ensure team structure/capacity is reviewed to enable agenda delivery, and succession plans for critical roles are in place.
- Ensure the provision of on-going training & development, ensure that direct reports are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Create a motivational and challenging environment for staff which is conducive to creativity and performance with customer-centricity in mind.
- Business Resilience:
- As matrix manager to Country Business Resilience, ensure the country resilience frameworks adequately support the country business strategy. Where necessary provide country executive sponsorship for major resilience initiatives.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Oversee country/cluster conduct planning and escalate issues to the accountable manager (CEO).
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the country/cluster TTO teams to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters
- Regional TTO Management Team
- Regional CEO, Regional Management Team
- Country CEO and Country Management team
- Leadership team of Local subsidiaries where appropriate
- Functional partners in Regional and Country teams
- Product COO’s & CIO. Enterprise Technology Team, Global Transformation Office, Chief Architects, Reg & Country CISO
- Local regulators and other government departments/officials
- Industry partners, Banking Associations, etc
Our Ideal Candidate
- Academic or Professional Education/Qualifications – relevant degree
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of professional experience as a C-suite People Leader
- Strong background in leading and managing a global workforce covering Operations and Technology domains within international firm/organisation
- Knowledge Group stakeholders, navigation and delivery practices.
- Sound knowledge of Country/Cluster regulatory landscape including Basel reforms.
- Stays current in knowledge with a focus on the future of technology
- Self-motivated leader with a growth mindset
- Advanced level communicator, with ability to influence and manage stakeholders from various seniority and backgrounds, preferably with international exposure
- Highly innovative and current in application of human centred design principles
- Leads on ‘agile’ as a way of working and proven experience transforming tech organisations to agile
- Builds a culture and environment that attracts and retains top technology talent including driving hard on Diversity and Inclusion
- Licenses and Certifications/Accreditations – as required by role remit and responsibility
- Professional Memberships – as required by role remit and responsibility
- Bank training, i.e. mandatory and developmental – as required by role remit and responsibility
- Languages – fluency in business English
Role Specific Competencies
- Business Acumen
- Regulatory Environment – Financial Services
- Understanding Customer Needs
- Business Process Improvement
- Operational Risk
- IT Standards, Procedures & Policies
- IT Governance
- Planning: Tactical Strategic
- Emerging Technologies
About Standard Chartered
We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we’ve worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you’re looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can’t wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you’ll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
- In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies – everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
- Recruitment assessments – some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you’ve applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers